Nail fungus is a dangerous infection that affects many people around the world. It can significantly affect how you live your everyday life, especially if the growth spreads to parts that are visible, such as your fingernails, which is extremely normal to happen.
According to reports, 10% of Americans suffer from this disease at some point in their life, but in most cases, it gets unnoticed as it sorts out on its own.
However, in some extreme cases, you would need nail fungal infection treatment.
Nail fungus are of various types and have different effects on an individual. Therefore, there is no one treatment as the solution depends on a number of factors including the reason for the problem and the severity.
The most common type of nail fungus is Onychomycosis. There are four distinctive subtypes of this condition. Onychomycosis is a typical kind of nail bacteria which influences around 8% of adults around the globe.
How To Get Rid of Nail Fungus
First, we need to realize that nail fungus can occur both in the fingernails as well as the toenails. Usually, it starts with a white or a yellow dot on the nail but if treatment is avoided, it can overgrow on the whole nail, even on the nail bed.
In order for a treatment to be effective, a new nail must develop and replace the old, infected nail. This requires a great deal of time, depending upon the seriousness of the growth. If any part of the nail remains untreated then it won’t be fruitful and the growth will reoccur once after a while.
Getting Rid Of Nail Fungus Via Meds
- Anti-fungal pills are effective in neutralizing the fungus. It is one of the most widely recognized and viable treatments. Some of the anti-fungal meds that are highly effective include clotrimazole, terbinafine, and itraconazole.
- Tea tree oil can be applied to affected nails twice every day. This oil contains antimicrobial properties which help to eliminate the fungus.
- Grapefruit seed extract is another proven formula that can be applied to nails. It also contains antimicrobial properties like tea tree oil and helps to fight the fungus.
In Case Of a Severe Infection
Severe cases of nail fungus require medicinal treatment involving surgery.
Recommended drugs and treatment techniques include laser and surgical debridement. Also, nail fungus can prompt critical health danger along with severe agonizing.
These complexities can lead to bacterial diseases as well. The area around the nail and underneath can get red and swollen because of contamination or due to the quickly growing of the fungus. A smell may also emerge due to the contamination.
- Laser treatments are said to be very effective as they kill the fungi, preventing the infection from spreading more.
- Surgical debridement is a surgical treatment that involves the removal of the fungal containing nail. In situations where just a segment of the nail is affected, only that specific part will be removed by your podiatrist.
- Systematic removal of the nail matrix is a way in which the affected nail is removed in a way so that a new nail can grow in its place. This technique is applied when the nail fungus cannot be treated via meds. It keeps the nail from developing back and is practiced by many doctors on those patients whose health is at risk due to the nail fungus.
Nail fungus is unsightly and can damage you physically, mentally as well as socially. Therefore, if you observe the symptoms that points towards the situation then do not waste time and start its treatment right away, also make sure that the treatment option you choose is effective and permanent and won’t allow the fungus to re-occur.